This sūrah of nine verses was revealed in Makkah. Its name is taken from the word al-humazah (slanderer) in its first verse. It warns against slandering and defaming, and seeing oneself as being above other people because of one’s wealth (or other worldly things).
- Woe to every one who slanders and vilifies,
- Who (sees himself above others because he) has amassed wealth and (without expending it in God’s cause and for the needy) counts it (in greedy love for it).
- He thinks that his wealth will make him last forever!
- By no means! He will most certainly be hurled into the consuming Disas- ter.
- What enables you to perceive the consuming Disaster?
- It is God’s fire, set ablaze,
- Which penetrates deep into hearts (and burns within, as it burns outside).
- Surely it will close in upon them
- In extended columns.